Monday, July 30, 2012

Sweet Memories



Since I was little, my family and I buy pastries and sweetmeats in the same place. Each of the members in my family had their own sweetmeats. My big brother always ate a cake that was a small square, it was a layer of vanilla cake, a layer of chocolate cream, and another layer of cake, it was covered in chocolate and it had a small twist of cream in the top. We always fought for it, because it was his, but I loved that small cream twist. My other brother, the one in the middle, ate something that we call “milhoja”, Is a sweetmeats full of puff pastry with whipped cream and strawberry sauce, same as my mom. My dad ate a small basket (fist size) that had peach jelly and whipped cream in the shape of a cone, and it was covered in chocolate. An me, it was a cake in the shape of a triangle, in was a layer of chocolate cake, a layer of cream, a layer of cake…. And just the edges were covered in chocolate. All this sweets were small, so don’t picture a fat sweet tooth family.

My mom heard on TV that on people do parties when the first period arrives, so when mine did, she bought all those sweets that we love. When I ask her the occasion she told me “a silent party, we are the only ones who know about this” and then she winked. I celebrate an important moment with something that I love (besides my family.

This pastry shop closed more than 4 years ago, and I was devastated. Everytime I drive pass it I remember the taste of that 7 layer cake and the cream twist that I use to steal from my brother. And I drive pass it a lot, every Friday to be exact. Is in the way to my grandmother’s house.

A couple of weeks ago we went to my granma’s house and saw it open. I was so happy! So my mom and me went the next day to buy the things we always bought. But they didn’t have my 7 layer cake, or my brothers square cake, or my mom’s and brother’s milhojas, or my dad’s cream cone. They did had some of the pastries they used to. I was sad. I asked the lady that what happened and she told me that since is the second day they are open they don’t have many pastries, that I should come in a bit.

I did, I went after 2 weeks, because I asked my parents to buy some before my big trip tomorrow

I should explain. My school does a trip every year for senior or the soon-to-be seniors so we can see Israel and learn from it. This is the kind of things that you look up to since you were a toodler.

So we went to the pastry shop, bought our sweetmeats and enjoyed them. It was like living a memory. It was amazing,

My mom then told me “see? This sweetmeats are always there in an important part of your life, next year for your graduation!”. And I just smiled because I was happy, really happy!

Neshikot Chamot everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment